The Best Type of Boat cleaners for safe, clean, easy and responsible boating
If you are a boat owner, then you know that keeping your boat clean is very important – not only does it keep your boat looking its best, but it can actually help to reduce boating accidents and fatalities and increase stewardship in our waterways. Regularly maintaining your boat helps to increase its lifespan.
Boat cleaners make the entire cleaning and restoration process a lot easier, but choosing the right type of boat cleaner is a task in itself.
The BoatUS Foundation, a national 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, tested the top 10 best boat cleaners on the market. We tested products #1-#10 and added our two cents below.
Types of boat cleaners:
- All-around, all-purpose boat cleaner
- Chrome cleaner
- Aluminum Boat cleaner
- Water stain cleaner
- Fiberglass stain remover
- Mildew cleaner
- Hull cleaner
- Stainless steel cleaner
- Varnish cleaner
- All Around and all-purpose boat cleaner :
All-Purpose Boat Cleaner helps to clean grease, grime, oil, gas, diesel fuel, fish blood and more from the boat.
Simple green marine, ConcrobiumXT Eco-Wash, Soft Scrub with Bleach Cleanser is the best all-around and all-purpose cleaner that's specially formulated and ready to use. No need to add water.
Benefits of all-purpose boat cleaner:
- Concentrated marine equipment cleaner
- Non-toxic and biodegradable formula
- Non-abrasive and non-flammable
- Removes sticky grease, oil, and fuel
- Safe for use on any washable surface near marine environments
- Chrome cleaner:
Chrome cleaner helps to remove grit, grime, and grease from new and old boat metal surfaces.
Star-Brite is the best chrome cleaner that used to protects against pitting, rust, and stains and resists saltwater deposits
Benefits of chrome cleaners:
- Easy to use liquid formula
- Protects against decoloration and pitting.
- Bonds to metal for long-lasting protection
- Dazzling shine
- Removes dirt, grime, salt deposits
- Aluminum Boat cleaner:
The aluminum boat cleaner adds to the beauty and value of boats and pontoons. It can be difficult to maintain your aluminum boat. Aluminum is a versatile metal that has significant applications in various industries, including the marine industry. Aluminum is prone to oxidation which covers the boat’s true beauty; thus, there is a need for ongoing maintenance.
Aluminum boat cleaners are designed to keep pontoons and aluminum boat looking their best both below and above the waterline. Using quality aluminum cleaner to clean your boat can make a huge difference.
Starbrite aluminum cleaner and restorer is specifically formulated to safely clean dull or stained aluminum surfaces of the boat.
Benefits of aluminum Boat cleaner:
- Made in the US
- Uses rich-quality ingredients to effectively remove water stains, dirt, salt deposits, and oxidation
- It comes in a convenient 64 fl. Oz bottle
- Doesn’t harm the stained surface
- Water stain cleaner:
Water stain cleaners remove hard water spots from fiberglass surfaces!
Meguiar's Gel Wash is the best water stain cleaner that safely and quickly removes boat scum, dirt, salt spray, grime, bird droppings, and other fresh surface contaminants without stripping wax protection.
Benefits of water stain cleaners:
- Allows frequent washings without stripping wax finishes
- Nonabrasive, biodegradable formula
- Rinses without leaving streaks
- Conditioners in wash increases shine
- Sheeting action greatly reduces drying time
- Fiberglass stain remover:
As a boat owner, knowing how to clean boat fiberglass yourself would not only save your money, but it will also help you to keep your boat in good shape. However, with the many options of boat cleaners out there, But choosing the best one is important.
Star Brite Ultimate Fiberglass Stain Remover, a cleaner is formulated without the use of dangerous, caustic acids, which makes it safe for use on all fiberglass surfaces. It is great for cleaning both vertical and horizontal surfaces.
Benefits of fiberglass stain remover:
- Increased cleaning power because of its added sticking time
- Effective at removing yellow water stains from the hull
- Doesn’t contain harmful caustic acids, making it safe for fiberglass use
- Mildew cleaners:
Cleaning mildew from the boat is always a difficult task. Generally, the boat seats materials are mold-resistant. On the other side, they aren’t completely mold-proof, so the accumulation of exposure and moisture to other elements can still mean the growth of mildew.
Boat mold removal has been made easier with the Marine 31 Mildew cleaner. It is specially formulated for marine surfaces such as vinyl upholstery, most outdoor acrylic fabrics, awnings, tile, roofs, fiberglass, rubber fenders, etc.
Benefits of marine 31 mildew cleaner:
- Cleans and removes mildew quickly
- Does so without dulling or damaging surfaces
- Little to no scrubbing is required
- Sometimes just wiping is enough
- Hull cleaner:
Boat hull cleaner is used to clean the stain in boat hulls. The Star Brite Instant Hull Cleaner is a best boat hull cleaner that was designed to remove unsightly stains and dirt immediately upon contact with your hull’s surface.
Benefits of hull cleaners:
- wipe-on, rinse-off design makes it easy to use
- Doesn’t require scrubbing
- Instant cleaning action
- Stainless Steel Cleaner:
Stainless steel cleaner is the easiest and best way to clean corrosion and unsightly rust staining on your boat.
Marine 31 Stainless Steel Cleaner is a spray-on, wipe-off cleaner that cleans dirt, grime, fingerprints and smudges from stainless steel and chrome surfaces with a quick spray and wipe process.
- Varnish restoration and cleaner:
Varnish cleaner is used to restore, clean and polish wooden surfaces on boats, such as internal cabinets, tables, chairs, wall surfaces and handrails on sailing and motor yachts, cruise liners, ships, and small recreational fishing boats.
TotalBoat Gleam Marine Spar Varnish will provide a long-lasting and durable high gloss protective finish. Imparts anti-static properties and leaves behind a pleasant fragrance. This cleaner may also be used to clean and polish laminates, plastic, fiberglass, paintwork and stainless steel.
Benefits of varnish cleaner:
- Highly recommended amber transparent coat wood finish for both exterior and interior surfaces
- Available in gallon, quart, and pint sizes
- A piece of cake to use even for novices
- An ideal pick for bar tops, doors, boats as well as indoor and outdoor furniture
- Aesthetically pleasing amber finish
The above-listed cleaners are the best type of boat cleaners to use. For more details about cleaning and maintenance just take online courses at Boat us foundation.
Flexifabrics Marine, LLC